What Is The Silver Sneakers Program?
You’ve likely had it drilled into your head by now, time and time again: One of the most important things to do in order to live a long, healthy life is to make sure you get in regular exercise. As we age, this rule becomes more and more important. Countless studies have shown again and again that exercise strengthens bones, boosts the immune system, improves mental health, improves sleep quality, pain management, manages and improves chronic conditions, and does wonders for cardiovascular health. Exercise also helps us to keep a healthy weight, which has a world of benefits of its own. Having the health to ward off illness and depression also gives you the ability to remain independent for a longer period of time, and improves your overall quality of life.
Knowing all of this, exercise may be a little more difficult to come by when you’re on a fixed income. Gym memberships are expensive, finding friends who have the desire and capability to to exercise with you may be a challenge, and even knowing what kinds of exercise routines are right for you in the first place and how to do them can be confusing. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to get around all of these obstacles, without having to shell out every penny in your pocket? Well, there’s a bit of good news for you…
The Silver Sneakers Program
The Silver Sneakers Program is a health and fitness program designed especially for adults that are 65+, and it’s included in most Medicare plans, free of cost. It gives you access to thousands of gyms, community centers, and participating fitness locations all over the country.
The Silver Sneakers Program also gives you access to a library of thousands of on-demand video workout programs, so you can even do them right from your home. But if you’re more interested in an in-person workout, say, for support or social purposes, you have access to an array of programs and classes designed specifically for seniors. Some of these include:
- Boom Muscle
- Boom Mind
- Boom Mind
- Water in Motion
You can download the SilverSneakers GO app for your android or iPhone mobile device, which provides your digital membership card. The Silver Sneakers Program provides a community of friendly, supportive people to interact with as you build towards your fitness goals, both in person and online.
5 Benefits for Seniors Through The Silver Sneakers Program
- Unlimited Gym Access – The Silver Sneakers Program gives you a special gym membership that allows you unlimited access to an extensive network of gyms, both locally owned and big brand name. Even better, all the amenities of these gyms are offered to you as well, including saunas, pools, weights, and any special amenities that gym has.
- Exclusive Classes – The Silver Sneakers Program offers classes exclusive to seniors, with supportive instructors and a friendly community of other seniors who want to remain fit and active, just like you. (See the classes listed above).
- Silver Sneakers FLEX – If running on treadmills and lifting weights isn’t really your style, that’s okay. Silver Sneakers FLEX is a program that offers alternative workouts for those who want to try something different, such as yoga, tai chi, boot camp, and more. These classes are typically held at local senior communities, recreation centers, churches and others.
- A Positive Social Environment – studies have shown over and over that you are much more likely to maintain a fitness routine if you have friends who do it with you. The Silver Sneakers Program allows people to connect with like-minded fitness enthusiasts who can help keep them motivated and accountable.
- Health Benefits – As we mentioned above, the most important thing anybody can have at the end of the day is their health. The huge benefits that come from a healthy lifestyle make The Silver Sneakers Program a benefit you can’t afford to miss.
Does Medicare Cover Silver Sneakers?
Most Medicare programs cover Silver Sneakers as part of their benefits. It just depends on which Medicare program you choose to enroll in. There are also some Medicare supplement plans (MSPs) that cover Silver Sneakers. It’s important to review your Annual Notice of Change letter every fall to keep up-to-date on any changes being made to your plan. You can sign up for the Silver Sneakers Program on their website, at www.silversneakers.com.